Installation & Licensing Center
If you are an active or future SimuTech customer and have questions or simply prefer to get help directly from an engineer, we'd be happy to help!
HOW TO - Boot to Safe Mode
Authored by Caleb Scharf February 4th, 2022 1056 views 1 likes KB1224893
Booting to safe mode may be necessary in order to troubleshoot problems related to corrupt system files or broken windows updates. Because safe mode only starts and run core/mandatory services, it can be helpful by allowing you to rule out any non-standard drivers, services and applications as the cause. This article will tell you how to boot into safe mode.
- Navigate to the Restart button in Windows but don't click it > Hold down the Shift-key > while holding down the Shift-key, click Restart.
- This can be done while logged in or at the login screen.
- Alternatively, you may boot to safe mode by going to Windows Search > search for and open Change Advanced Startup Options > under the advanced startup section, select Restart Now.
- Your computer will boot into the Advanced Startup Menu.
- At the Choose an Option Screen select Troubleshoot > select Advanced Options > select Startup Settings > select Restart.
- If your computer has BitLocker enabled, you must enter your BitLocker Key. If you do not have this, please contact your IT Department.
- At the Startup Settings Screen select Enable Safe Mode.
- Only select Enable Safe Mode with Networking if specifically necessary.
- WARNING - Never install Windows Updates in Safe Mode!
- You're computer will now boot into safe-mode and you can login. You will know you are if you see the term "safe-mode" overlaid on the screen in the lower left corner.