HOW TO - Verify Licenses Can be Checked Out
Authored by Caleb Scharf December 30th, 2021 2255 views 0 likes KB955770
If your Ansys software won't open, opens but all features don't work, the Workbench toolbox menu doesn't load or you experience other licensing related errors, this article can help you resolve these and other licensing/checkout related issues.
Step #1 - Verify Client has the Correct Server Specified
- Double check you have the correct License Server specified and that it's spelled correctly.
This step is not required if you can check out some, but not all licenses.
- If you have not done so already, Verify Ansys Client-Server Communication
Step #3 - Verify you have the latest license manager version installedIf you are attempting run a newer version of the client software with an older version of the license manager, running a newly issued license on an older license manager version or experiencing other checkout related issues, the first thing to do is to update your license manager to the latest version.
Step #4 - Quickly fix common Ansys issues (9 min)Try the following quick solutions reset basic Ansys settings back to default and commonly resolve many license or application issues:
Step #5 - Do you have a temporary/evaluation license? (If Not, Skip)
- Have you installed a permanent license on top of a temporary license and can now no longer use the temporary product licenses
- If so, see - ERROR - Temporary License Stops Working
- Do you have an expired temp license installed?
- If so may be causing checkout related issues. To eliminate this as a cause you need to Reset Your Ansys License File.
Step #6 - Test License Checkout from the Command Line
This step will attempt to checkout a license from the command line. This eliminates the individual application as a cause.
- Run the following command in a Windows command prompt from the client computer.
- If your not sure what feature/increment you need to test see - HOW TO - Identify what license features you are attempting to checkout.
Client Version 2021 R1 and Above:
"C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\vXXX\licensingclient\winx64\ansysli_util.exe" -checkout dsdxm
Client Version 2020 R2 and Below:
"C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64\ansysli_util.exe" -checkout dsdxm
*If needed, replace "dsdxm" with the license feature/increment of your choosing that exists in your license file. Examples of common license features you may have:
- Mechanical Products - "dsdxm"
- Fluid Products - "cfd_base"
- Electronics - "electronics_desktop"
- If needed, see HOW TO - Identify what license features you are attempting to checkout
- The Product to License Feature Mapping Document can also help here.
*Replace "XXX" with your version number. "201" for 2020 R1 or "202" for 2020 R2 or "211" for 2021 R1, etc.
- If this test succeeds, but you still experience a problem checking out a license with the software, there could be several causes:
- The specific license feature/increment you are trying to checkout is either in use/not available
- There is a problem with the software installation
- In either case, proceed to the next step.
Step #7 - Verify the license feature is available for checkout
This step will insure that your installed license has the feature(s) you are trying to checkout and that they are not already in use.
- See the following article - HOW TO - See Who Has Licenses Checked Out
- Review the results of these logs to identify if the license feature is both present in your license file and not already in use.