INFO - Understanding Product Licenses and Features
Authored by Caleb Scharf September 17th, 2021 147 views 0 likes 993354
Table of ContentsWhat license features/increments are included in my license?What software capabilities/functionality map to what license features?Where can I find the Product to License Feature Mapping Guide?
Ansys software is based on a tiered licensing structure. When you purchase Ansys software, you purchase a license for a specific product(s), called a product license. Each product license is made up of one or more license features (also referred to as increments). When opening and using an Ansys program, the product license isn't actually requested and checked out, instead only the license feature(s) that are included with that product and used at that time are checked out. For example, if you own an Ansys Mechanical Pro license you actually have three license features in your license file: "mech_1", "dsdxm" and "advanced_meshing".
This licensing design allows different features in your license to be used by different users at the same time vs one user consuming all features of an entire product license. This also allows Ansys to package different features into different product licenses that better fit customer needs without requiring customers to overpay for features that they don't need.
Frequently Asked Questions
What license features/increments are included in my license?
- Your license file lists all features:
- Viewing the Current License Usage shows you all features in your installed license file
- The Product to License Feature Mapping Document lists all Ansys products and what features are included in each one. See the section below for access to this document.
What software capabilities/functionality map to what license features?
Your account manager is a good resource to assist with understanding what products have what capabilities. If you need to get more specific and identify what specific software capability is associated with what license feature/increment, you have a few options.
- For the most definitive answer the following method will actually have you attempt to use the capability and then identify what license(s) was requested
- Contact SimuTech Support and an engineer familiar with the software you are using can assist.
Where can I find the Product to License Feature Mapping Document?
The Product to License Feature Mapping Document lists all Ansys products and what features (AKA increments) are included in each one. Customer Portal Access is required.
- Visit the Customer Portal (Click Here for help) > Downloads > Installation and Licensing Help Tutorials > expand Licensing section > Product to License feature mapping archive.