Setting Custom License Server/Firewall Ports
Authored by Caleb Scharf February 4th, 2022 2631 views 0 likes KB956147
By default, the Ansys license server communicates over three different ports. We recommend leaving these ports set to their default values and allowing these Ansys processes through the firewall by application whenever possible, however, there are occasions that can require you to change these default port settings.
The most common scenario is having to set a static port for the Vendor Daemon service, which by default is a dynamic port (changes every time the license manager service starts). This is necessary if you need to allow these ports through a network hardware firewall/router/VPN or are using a Linux license server. This can also be required if you have other FlexNet based applications installed on the same server which are using these ports (SolidWorks, MATLAB, Creo, NX, etc.).
- 1055 - Required for communication with the FlexLM service (lmgrd.exe)
- 2325 - Required for communication with the Ansys Licensing Interconnect service (ansysli_server.exe)
Dynamic port - Required for communication with the Ansys "Vendor daemon" service (ansyslmd.exe)
- By default, it changes every time the license manager is started.
- This process/port is required for versions 2021R1 or later.
- For versions 2020 R2 and prior, it's only required for Electronics products, and to view license status.
Vendor Daemon (ansyslmd.exe) - Default Port = DynamicDelete
How to Identify if other applications are using the same ports as Ansys?
Do you have other applications on the same server (SolidWorks, Matlab, Creo, NX, etc.) that are using the same ports Ansys does? Both programs cannot successfully use the same ports simultaneously. See the picture below for guidance on how to identify what ports are in use by what service & by what application.