Installation & Licensing Center
If you are an active or future SimuTech customer and have questions or simply prefer to get help directly from an engineer, we'd be happy to help!
INFO - What happens when you lose connection to an Ansys license server?
Authored by Steve Barnett July 22nd, 2023 676 views 1 likes KB1752187
Opening and running Ansys client software requires you maintain consistent connectivity with the license server (unless the license is borrowed). This article will explain how this connectivity works and what happens when connectivity is lost.
All testing in this article was performed using Ansys 2022 R2. We have historically seen no noteworthy changes to this behavior across versions, however, future versions may behave differently.
This behavior may vary slightly depending on your environment and due to slight variance observed in heartbeat intervals in our testing.
Every ~5min-10mins, the client software checks-in with the server. This is called the heartbeat. When it can't contact the license server, the following process occurs:
- The user receives an error message that the License server is lost.
- The client tries to connect every ~5-10min for up to 60min, displaying an error message every ~5-10min of this countdown.
- The software continues to operate as normal for up to 60min, after which point the application will Timeout and depending on the application and behave as described in the table below.
- If connection is restored after Timeout occurs, while the software is still in read-only mode, it will resume full functionality and notify the user that read-only mode has been disabled. Solving is also impacted by a Timeout, see the table below for examples.
- By default, after ~2hrs, if the license server does not receive any communication from the client, it will check back in all licenses that are checked out to the client, so they are available to other users.
- If this does not occur, it's referred to as a stuck license bug. See HOW TO - Release a Stuck License for more details.
|Applications||What happens after Time out Occurs (~60min)||What happens after Connection is restored and first heartbeat occurs (takes ~5-10min)?|