HOW TO - Change/Move License Servers
Authored by Caleb Scharf June 3rd, 2022 8807 views 3 likes KB955775
When an Ansys license is issued, it's keyed to a specific computer based on a hardware ID unique to that computer. This prevents the license from being installed on other computers and protects against unauthorized use of the license. If you need to move the Ansys License Manager to a different machine, you must first perform a "license server change". This process will re-key your existing licensed products to the new computer and issue a new license file, which can then be installed on the new computer.
- First, Gather the License Server Host Info from the server you will be moving your license to.
- Send the file generated to your SimuTech contact, account manager or SimuTech Support and request a license server change.
- Our Support team will send you a form that needs to be filled out and returned.
- Once the form is returned, your support contact will email you your new license file - Generally within ~4-8 business hrs, Eastern Time.
- Follow our Ansys Installation Guide for instructions on how to install the license manager and new license file.
- On all clients, Specify the new License Server to ensure they are pulling licenses from the correct server.
- You are then contractually required to permanently Uninstall the License Manager from the old license server computer.