ERROR - Cannot return a borrowed license
Authored by Caleb Scharf December 15th, 2021 2870 views 1 likes KB956424
Unable to return a borrowed license. Ansys borrow utility hangs or freezes.
This type of scenario is most often caused by a communication error between the client and the server while borrowing or returning a license. The Ansys borrow feature is sensitive to slow or high latency connections such as VPN connections or poor WiFi connections. It is also more likely to occur if you have a large number of licenses as polling the server for this information takes longer (~1-2min) and in turn allows more time for a connection problem to occur. Whenever possible, the client should borrow and return licenses while on the same local network as the license server.
This can also be caused when trying to return a license on a different connection than the license was borrowed from (Example: you borrow the license while on a VPN, but return it when in the office). An element of borrowed licenses is that they are tied to your computer's network adaptors. If you borrow the license on a laptop connected via ethernet in the office and then try to return over Wi-Fi and/or connected to a VPN, the adaptors have changed in terms of how Ansys / FlexLM sees them and can cause problems.
- First, Verify/Test License Manager Connectivity
- Next, attempt to borrow a new and different type of license.
- Then return all licenses.
- If that doesn't work, you can forcefully reset all borrowed licenses.
On the client machine (Windows):
- Log in as the user who borrowed the license.
- Search the start menu for "Registry Editor" and open the application
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key/folder:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FLEXlm License Manager\Borrow
- Right click the folder and select Export to create a backup of this key/folder.
- Delete this registry key/folder.
- Close the Registry Editor.
- “Run the ANSYS Borrow Utility” again to verify borrowed license is gone.
- On the License Server (Windows):
- On the client machine (Windows):