Installation & Licensing Center
If you are an active or future SimuTech customer and have questions or simply prefer to get help directly from an engineer, we'd be happy to help!
INFO - Setting up a VPN to an Ansys License Server
Authored by Caleb Scharf December 2nd, 2022 5318 views 1 likes KB956508
In order to open and use Ansys software, you must be able to connect and remain connected to your Ansys License server. This means the client computer needs to be on the same network as the license server. When working from home or out of the office, it's common to use a VPN in order to access the license server. There are also other options you may want to select from.
Setting up a VPN is a common solution to working with Ansys remotely. While SimuTech can't directly setup and configure your network VPN, the following information will help you and your IT Administrator ensure the proper ports Ansys communicates over are open.
If your VPN does not allow all traffic to pass through, your IT Administrator will need to specifically allow certain ports to pass through. These steps assume your license server is working properly on your local network.
- First set a custom port for the Vendor Daemon Service by following - Setting Custom Ansys License Server/Firewall Ports.
- Add the proper port exceptions to your VPN by following - Add Firewall Exceptions for Ansys License Manager
- From the client computer, test connectivity to the license manager to very everything is working as expected.
- It's possible to borrow a license from your license server without the need for a VPN. For more information, please see - HOW TO - Borrow an Ansys License.
- For other remote connection options see - Choosing a Remote Connection Type