Installation & Licensing Center
If you are an active or future SimuTech customer and have questions or simply prefer to get help directly from an engineer, we'd be happy to help!
HOW TO - Fix Ansys License Checkout Errors
Authored by Caleb Scharf August 28th, 2023 8185 views 2 likes KB955770
If your Ansys software won't open, opens but all features don't work, the Workbench toolbox menu doesn't load or you experience other licensing related errors, this article can help you resolve these and other licensing/checkout related issues.
Rule Out Possible Causes
Want a Quick Solution?
Search your error message on the Installation Center to get targeted solutions.
Listed most to least common
A) License Server Connectivity Issue (Always Rule Out First)
This step is not required if you can check out some, but not all licenses.
- Always Eliminate License Manager Connectivity as the cause, first.
B) The license is not available / already in use / expired / outdated
|Possible Causes (most to least common)||Solution|
|Other users are consuming all available licenses or your license is stuck.||
Check if licenses are available and who is using existing licenses.
|The license does not exist or the quantity of licenses is inaccurate because you didn't install the most recent license file that you were issued.||
|The license does not exist in your license pool because you are not licensed for the capability you are trying to use.||
Identify the feature you are trying to checkout. View the license status to see if that feature is included in your license pool. Further, you can verify what features are included in the products you purchased via the mapping document.
|Your license is expired or does not support the version you are trying to use.||Verify your license is valid and not expired|
C) License Manager is outdated
The License Manager is always backward compatible with all older licenses and client software versions.
We routinely see Ansys fixing bugs in the license manage that fix checkout related issues. The latest version of the license manager should always be run.
D) Corrupt or miss-configured settings
Try the following quick solutions reset basic Ansys settings back to default and commonly resolve many license or application issues:
E) Temporary license is superseded by new license
If a new permanent license was issued and installed after a temporary license of the same product, the new license will supersede the old license, meaning, the old license will not work. See - ERROR - Temporary License Stops Working
F) Installed license file is corrupt or miss-formatted
Expired temp licenses or miss-formatted or corrupt license files an cause this.
G) License Borrowing Issue
H) Checkout issue isolated to the application
This step will attempt to checkout a license from the command line. This eliminates the individual application as a cause.
- Run the following command in a Windows command prompt from the client computer.
- If you're not sure what feature/increment you need to test see - HOW TO - Identify what license features you are attempting to checkout.
Client Version 2021 R1 and Above:
"C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\vXXX\licensingclient\winx64\ansysli_util.exe" -checkout dsdxm
Client Version 2020 R2 and Below:
"C:\Program Files\ANSYS Inc\Shared Files\Licensing\winx64\ansysli_util.exe" -checkout dsdxm
*If needed, replace "dsdxm" with the license feature/increment of your choosing that exists in your license file. Examples of common license features you may have:
- Mechanical Products - "dsdxm"
- Fluid Products - "cfd_base"
- Electronics - "electronics_desktop"
- If needed, see HOW TO - Identify what license features you are attempting to checkout
- The Product to License Feature Mapping Document can also help here.
*Replace "XXX" with your version number. "201" for 2020 R1 or "202" for 2020 R2 or "211" for 2021 R1, etc.
- If this test succeeds, but you still experience a problem checking out a license with the software, there could be several causes:
- The specific license feature/increment you are trying to checkout is either in use/not available
- There is a problem with the software installation.
- In either case, proceed to the next step.
I) Ansys software bug